Bodleian Library

The Bodleian Library was built in 1320 in the church of St Mary the Virgin as the University of Oxford's first purpose built library. It was taken over by Sir Thomas Bodley in 1602 who donated a collection of approximately 2,500 books and manuscripts.

The Bodleian collections amount to more than 11 million as well as tens of thousands of e-journals. Many of the library's archival collections were digitised and published online in 2015.

14-10-27-2164NE03A Fox Talbot.jpg

Fox Talbot archive goes to Bodleian Library after appeal brings success

27 October 2014

The Bodleian Library in Oxford has bought the personal archive of William Henry Fox Talbot, the British ‘founder of photography’, after a successful appeal.

Bodleian boosted by Fox Talbot funding

19 August 2013

The Bodleian Library have moved a step closer to buying the personal archive of photography pioneer William Henry Fox Talbot (1800-77) after the Art Fund pledged £200,000 towards the total needed.

Bodleian acquire Hopkins poem

07 May 2013

The original autograph draft manuscript for Gerard Manley Hopkins’ 1879 poem ‘Binsey Poplars’ has been acquired by the Bodleian Libraries.

Funding boost could help Bodleian secure the Fox Talbot Archive

14 January 2013

The Bodleian Library has been given a £1.2m boost in its bid to raise £2.2m by the end of February to buy an important slice of photographic history.